Barry’s specialist areas are:
• Trust and estate planning, including asset protection structures, pension and post retirement structures as well as business exit strategies for individuals in family businesses
• Advising trustees and members of pension schemes in relation to Revenue and other regulatory matters
• Advising solicitors on tax and pensions matters for their clients
• Advising on and structuring investments, particularly through pension vehicles
• Advising on and implementing private trust structures.
Barry joined the ITC group in 2007. He is a qualified solicitor, an AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) and a registered Trust and Estate practitioner (TEP). Previously, he was a partner in a general-practice legal firm, worked in the taxation department of a leading Irish legal firm and qualified as a tax consultant while working in the corporate tax division of a 'Big Four' international accountancy firm. Barry is a committee member of the Irish Branch of STEP.
“Barry Kennelly and Aidan McLoughlin provided us with expert advice in a recent landmark High Court case which clarified the Irish legal position on the security of pension scheme assets from creditors”
- Paul Bohan, Partner, Bohan Solicitors
Our firm instructed Aidan McLoughlin and Barry Kennelly to advise in relation to the obligations of trustees in a pension scheme which was the core issue in a highly complex High Court professional negligence action. The case involved hundreds of employees who were members of an occupational pension scheme. It was alleged that they were given negligent advice by the trustees of the scheme upon retirement. Barry and Aidan undertook the enormous task of reading tens of folders of discovery documentation within a short space of time and then provided the firm with an extremely detailed expert report. Their advice and attention to detail inspired us with confidence and we have no doubt that their involvement in the matter assisted in the case settling for a multi-million euro figure.
Augustus Cullen solicitors